About Rebel News
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story, and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
We are seeking a candidate to work out of our Toronto office as our assignment editor. The role requires daily communication with Rebel News journalists and contributors, managing and assigning work accordingly. The assignment editor will work closely with the post-production manager and may also be asked to do occasional video editing and web posting.
The ideal candidate would be able to make split-second decisions about where journalists should go in the event of breaking news and should have a strong knowledge of Canadian and American politics, media, and conservative world views.
- Demonstrated flexibility with work assignments – working quickly, efficiently, establishing priorities, and working effectively under pressure to meet tight and shifting priorities and timelines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional editorial judgment and an understanding of the interests of the Rebel News audience.
- Strong writing and editing ability is an asset
- Lead staff meetings and present the stories which will be released that day
- Help choose which journalists, photographers, and other staff members are assigned to cover stories
- Coordinate the daily news coverage plan
- Follow all pitch and script emails, and update the daily planner accordingly
- Coordinate cameraman availability for on-the-street filming
- Assign weekend work as required
- Add reporter and story assignments to daily planning schedule
- Help journalists develop ideas for reports
- Manage reporter trips closely so that they stay on track and produce the required video reports (scene setter, issues, findings, closing.)
- Be the lead point of communication between reporters, production teams, and executive staff on stories
- 2+ years of work in media or politics
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- 2+ years of management experience
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Experience working in a highly political environment is an asset
- Experience directing staff
Compensation commensurate with experience.