Rebel News is seeking a China affairs journalist, based anywhere in Canada, capable of providing news, commentary, and activism in relation to its editorial objectives.
The primary medium for publication will be video, but written articles will be expected as well.
Ideal candidates should have experience with digital and visual communication and a strong grasp of Chinese and Canadian politics and affairs.
The position will also be an advocate for democracy in China and a defender of the people who are persecuted by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party), such as Hong Kong democracy activists and ethnic and religious minorities both abroad and in Canada. Duties will include monitoring China's influence in Canada, including in Chinese-language news media in Canada, in Canadian universities and other targets of CCP influence.
Fluency in Chinese-language is required, as is a working knowledge of Chinese-Canadian media.
- Pitch daily story ideas.
- Scrum politicians of all parties, as well as non-elected political, bureaucratic and diplomatic personalities, who aren't used to being asked accountability questions by mainstream media.
- Write web-friendly summaries and emails to be sent out to supporters, accompanying an article or video.
- Participate in daily team calls and pitch meetings.
- News does not break on a schedule. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- High knowledge of Chinese and Canadian political issues and political players.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Ability to work independently.
- History in digital and visual communications are assets.
- Effectively able to work with a remote team.
- Not afraid to ruffle the feathers of the establishment media who aren't used to accountability journalism.
- Courage to scrum politicians and diplomats of all stripes with difficult but fair questions.
- Professionalism, integrity, and discretion.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- A telegenic personality is an asset.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Candidates should submit a short demo video in the Rebel News style (between 90 seconds and 3 minutes) demonstrating your choice of subject matter, your ability to communicate and your point of view. Unedited video (e.g. from a cell phone or webcam) is acceptable.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.