Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story, and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going. The Community Manager is responsible for providing customer support to Rebel viewers and communicating with the global Rebel audience.
The community manager is copied on every public facing email received by Rebel News. Because we rely on our audience for funding, we need to guarantee customer satisfaction by making sure that we read every email that is sent to us and are available by phone during office hours for people having trouble subscribing or donating.
Because the community manager contacts our supporters, we will rely on the community manager to inform upper management of issues that our supporters are raising with our content, online systems, or any other Rebel News matters. The community manager will familiarize themselves with all digital assets surrounding Rebel News in order to know how to fix problems that arise.
- Experience writing to users without making grammatical and spelling errors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to offer excellent assistance to users requiring technical support
- Familiarity with Nation Builder is an asset
- Familiarity with Stripe is an asset
- Familiarity with WordPress is an asset
- Familiarity with web video player systems is an asset
- Kind and cool when speaking with customers
- Attention to detail
- A professional demeanour
- Ability to remain calm and focused in high-pressure situations
- Manage, organize and maintain an effective marketing database
- Forward media requests and legal requests to the appropriate staff members
- Read all emails coming to Rebel news from the public, reply accordingly to emails that require a response
- Check voicemails daily
- Moderate comments on website and apply action to rule violators appropriately
- Assist Rebel News audience and supporters via email and phone when necessary
- Support operational activities (e.g. database cleanup, inventory management, event support.)
- Report on issues that are common amongst Rebel News users
- Support customer requests for subscription and donation help
- Takes the initiative to find creative approaches to improve Rebel News’ user experience
- Looks for ways to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the overall branch customer experience.
- A diploma/degree and/or related experiences
- Basic computer and database knowledge
Compensation commensurate with experience. This is an entry-level job and candidates can expect between $35,000 and $48,000 annually.
*Candidates must be able to work out of our Toronto office.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.