BREAKING: Erin O'Toole campaign files complaint alleging Peter MacKay's team stole confidential data

BREAKING: Erin O'Toole campaign files complaint alleging Peter MacKay's team stole confidential data

Late last night, the Erin O'Toole campaign released a statement alleging that Peter MacKay's team stole confidential information.

Erin O'Toole and Peter MacKay are both running to be the next leader of the Conservative Party of Canada.

In a letter released in both French and English on Twitter close to midnight on Friday, June 19, the O'Toole campaign wrote:

Today, the Erin O'Toole campaign is filing a formal complaint and request for investigation with the RCMP, OPP, and Toronto Police Service against the Peter MacKay campaign and senior MacKay campaign organizer, Jamie Lall. The complaint involves the theft of confidential O'Toole campaign data and strategy, including specifically the theft of Zoom video conferences, including confidential campaign strategy video conferences, and of video conferences with Conservative Party members across Canada. The complaint comes after an in depth investigation was launched by the O'Toole campaign after we discovered our systems were hacked earlier this week.

The investigation found that senior MacKay campaign organizer Mr. Lall obtained confidential O'Toole log-in information on June 5. The O'Toole investigation found that the stolen downloads occurred over the past two weeks on June 5, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 from both Calgary and Toronto. The O'Toole investigation was thorough and clinical and included data collection and in person interviews. All information obtained over the course of the investigation has been provided to the RCMP, OPP, and Toronto Police Service.

Jamie Lall was previously in the news after he was dismissed as a Progressive Conservative candidate for Chestermere-Rocky View in Alberta back in 2015, allegedly in relation to a 2007 restraining order filed by his former girlfriend.

At the time, Global News reported that Lall retaliated by releasing private messages in response to the dismissal:

A former Progressive Conservative candidate has made public a series of text messages he says prove he was taken out of the race unfairly, and says a restraining order against him was never hidden from the Tories during his vetting process.

Jamie Lall was fighting for the PC nomination in the riding of Chestermere-Rocky View but was mysteriously disqualified just days before a nomination vote was to take place.

A CBC report on the restraining order noted none of the allegations in the order were proved in a court:

The ex-girlfriend said in the document she sought the order, which was granted, against her then 22-year-old ex-boyfriend on the advice of her lawyer and Calgary police.

"He is extremely verbally abusive towards me and my family," she said. "I have changed my phone number since then and he got the number and still continues to call (about 30 times consecutively, at least once a week)."

The woman also claimed Lall had pleaded guilty to another minor charge. Court records show the charge was withdrawn after the restraining order was granted.

Last week we reported that the Zoom video conferencing software allegedly censored pro-Chinese democracy group after they held an online event commemorating the 31st anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.