Rebel News is seeking a punctilious grammarian and spelling aficionado to join our growing team at Rebel News as our Senior Editor.
Ideal candidates should have plenty of experience with writing and research, an eye for detail, a strong grasp of Canadian and conservative politics and affairs, and a passion for writing.
The role can be filled by remote staff, however, working out of the office in Toronto is preferred.
- Editing written content (including articles, page copy, marketing emails, etc.) for spelling, grammar, and consistency with Rebel News style.
- Writing, inputting, and posting news stories.
- Occasional posting of videos to Rebel News channels.
- Creation and maintenance of a Rebel News style guide.
- Assistance in vetting content for legal and editorial guidance.
- Punching up articles to add more details, better grammar, or more up-to-date information.
- Assistance posting to social media accounts when required.
- Using appropriate tags and SEO functionality on posts.
- Keeping records of relevant content (page tags) and staying up to date on best practices for web posting.
- Reviewing content for possible legal issues, and referring them to company lawyers.
- Excellent English language writing skills. Fluency in French is an asset.
- Editing skills with a portfolio of written work.
- High knowledge of Canadian political issues and political players.
- 2+ years of consistent experience posting or writing for a periodical of any sort.
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Proficiency with Photoshop is an asset.
- Attention to detail.
- Professionalism, integrity, and discretion.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- Effectively able to work with a remote team.
Job type and salary:
This is a permanent and full-time position, with benefits — including paid vacation. We are a growing company offering competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada, but has a rapidly expanding team in Australia and a modest team in the United Kingdom. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.