Rebel News is seeking a motivated In-House Counsel/Litigation Lawyer to join our legal team in Toronto.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial work ethic, 5+ years of demonstrated litigation experience, and a passion for civil liberties advocacy. We are in an authoritarian era where governments have given themselves emergency powers and often abuse them; the successful candidate will constantly be scanning the news and thinking, "how can we use the law to preserve our liberties?"
- Provide legal advice and strategic counsel within a broad scope of legal areas, including, constitutional, civil liberties, regulatory, administrative, defamation, and contract.
- Respond quickly to legal crises, including rapid drafting and filing of lawsuits, complaints and demand letters.
- Help manage our www.FightTheFines.com project and other crowdfunded initiatives
- Litigate in person and via Zoom.
- Appear on Rebel News videos to explain legal issues.
- Work with other Rebel lawyers and staff
- Member in good standing with LSO
- Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated litigation experience
- Excellent analytical, drafting, communication, and negotiation skills
- Must be able to work out of the Toronto headquarters for Rebel News
This is a full-time position with benefits — including paid vacation. Rebel News is a growing company offering competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.