Rebel News is seeking an Ottawa based journalist, capable of providing news, commentary, and activism in relation to its editorial objectives.
The primary medium for publication will be video, but written articles will be expected as well.
Fluency in French is not required but is an asset.
- Pitch daily story ideas.
- Scrum politicians of all parties, as well as non-elected political, bureaucratic and diplomatic personalities, who aren't used to being asked accountability questions by mainstream media
- Write web-friendly summaries and emails to be sent out to supporters, accompanying an article or video
- Participate in daily team calls and pitch meetings
- News does not break on a schedule. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- High knowledge of Canadian political issues and political players
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized
- Ability to work independently
- History in digital and visual communications are assets
- Command of French is an asset
- Effectively able to work with a remote team
- Not afraid to ruffle feathers of the establishment media who aren't used to accountability journalism
- Courage to scrum politicians of all stripes with difficult but fair questions
- Professionalism, integrity and discretion
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Occasional evening and weekend work required
- A telegenic personality is an asset
Compensation commensurate with experience.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.