Rebel News is seeking a punctilious grammarian and spelling aficionado to join our growing team at Rebel News as our Newsroom Manager.
Ideal candidates should have plenty of experience with writing and research, an eye for detail, a strong grasp of Canadian and conservative politics and affairs, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for writing.
This role will be a critical part of Rebel News management and will require a candidate who is comfortable in a start-up working atmosphere and is excited about helping Rebel News establish itself more prominently with more qualitative reporting.
The role can be filled by remote staff, however, working out of the office in Toronto is preferred.
- Managing and developing the web editors and social media team and assigning content to be posted in a timely manner.
- Coordinating schedules of the newsroom team to make sure all necessary working hours are covered by someone.
- Reviewing written content (page and marketing copy) for editorial compliance and accuracy.
- Reviewing content for possible legal issues, and referring them to company lawyers when appropriate for pre-publication review.
- Direct collaboration with the managing editor and director of post-production to ensure a quality product is posted.
- Creation and maintenance of a Rebel News style guide.
- Occasional editing and punching-up of written content (including articles, page copy, marketing emails, etc.) for spelling, grammar, more up-to-date information, and consistency with Rebel News style.
- Occasional writing, inputting, and posting news stories.
- Occasional assistance posting to social media.
- Keeping records of relevant content (page tags) and staying up to date on best practices for web posting.
- Providing staff reviews and recommendations for bonuses and raises.
- Excellent English language writing skills. Fluency in French is an asset.
- Experience managing a news room or team of 5+.
- Experience managing teams with remote workers.
- Editing skills with a portfolio of written work.
- High knowledge of Canadian political issues and political players.
- 2+ years of consistent experience posting or writing for a periodical of any sort.
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Attention to detail.
- Professionalism, integrity, and discretion.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- Effectively able to work with a remote team.
Job type and salary:
This is a permanent and full-time position, with benefits — including paid vacation. We are a growing company offering competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada and has a rapidly expanding team in Australia and a modest team in the United Kingdom. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.