Rebel News is seeking a UK journalist to provide news, commentary, and activism in support of our editorial objectives.
The primary medium for publication will be video, but written articles will be expected as well. Ideal candidates should have experience with digital and visual communication, a strong grasp of British and conservative politics and affairs.
The journalist will occasionally work with a cameraman, but usually will work solo, using citizen journalism tools like a cell-phone camera and a selfie-stick.
- Pitch daily story ideas.
- Scrum politicians of all parties, as well as non-elected political, bureaucratic and diplomatic personalities, who aren't used to being asked accountability questions by mainstream media
- Write web-friendly summaries and emails to be sent out to supporters, accompanying an article or video
- Participate in daily team calls and pitch meetings
- News does not break on a schedule. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- High knowledge of British political issues and political players
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized
- Ability to work independently
- History in digital and visual communications are assets
- Effectively able to work with a remote team
- Not afraid to ruffle feathers of the establishment media who aren't used to accountability journalism
- Courage to scrum politicians of all stripes with difficult but fair questions
- Professionalism, integrity and discretion
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Occasional evening and weekend work required
- A telegenic personality is an asset
Compensation commensurate with experience.
How to apply for this job:
Please send a short cover letter introducing yourself, as well as any relevant experience to [email protected]. Every application must also include a short video (less than 3 minutes) of yourself reporting a news story in the Rebel News style.
About Rebel News:
Rebel News Network is the largest online news network in Canada. Since its launch in 2015 Rebel News has been dedicated to telling the other side of the story and challenging the narrative of the mainstream media.
Rebel News is different because our supporters participate in shaping everything we do, through a mix of online engagement, commenting, advocacy, and events. We don’t just report the news — we participate in it.
And unlike our competitors in the mainstream media, we don’t take any money from the government. We rely entirely on our audience to help keep us going.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and the aforementioned ed materials to [email protected].