Tamara Lich released by judge while CTV causes melee, Ottawans give their thoughts on the convoy

A tense situation arose in Ottawa between supporters and a mainstream media journalist after Tamara Lich was granted her release at the Ottawa Courthouse. Prior to the fracas, Rebel News spoke to residents to hear their thoughts on Lich and the convoy protest.

Remove Ads

On July 26, Tamara Lich, one of the organizers behind the Freedom Convoy, was released on bail by a judge after her lawyer requested a review hearing. The Metis grandmother was arrested in Medicine Hat, Alberta on June 26 and was transported back to Ottawa because of a picture taken at a Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms event. 

The first hearing Lich had at the Ottawa Courthouse occurred in front of a justice of the peace, who ruled her alleged breach of bail conditions was too important to grant her release. 

On the first day of the bail review hearing, Rebel News reporter William Diaz-Berthiaume walked through downtown Ottawa to ask residents what they think of the Metis grandmother. 

The general opinion was divided.

“I think it was stupid,” one young lady told Rebel News when reacting to the Freedom Convoy protest, adding that the demonstration “was inconvenient.” On the other hand, an older gentleman said that he supports Tamara Lich and the pro-freedom movement, and that Lich should not be in jail for having organized a peaceful protest since it is her right to “free speech.”

The judge announced that day he would render a decision on July 26 — and he did just that.

The morning after, Justice Andrew Goodman declared that, “in [his] opinion, a reasonable member of the community, with a strong understanding of the presumption of innocence, would not view Ms. Lich's release as an affront to the administration of justice.

He then granted Tamara Lich her release. 

Lich was reportedly filled with joy and addressed the crowd for a moment as soon as she exited the Ottawa Courthouse.

However, moments prior to Lich giving her thoughts on the judge’s decision, a melee occurred involving a crowd of Lich's supporters and CTV News reporter Glen McGregor.

Lich then left the perimeter without addressing the media. 

Lawrence Greenspon, who is Lich's lawyer, answered three questions from Rebel News and gave his professional thoughts on the situation. For now, Lich will be heading back to her home in Alberta at her own expense, but not without the support of thousands of donors online.

To stay up-to-date with our coverage of Tamara Lich, be sure to follow along at FreeTamara.ca.

Remove Ads
Remove Ads

Don't Get Censored

Big Tech is censoring us. Sign up so we can always stay in touch.

Remove Ads